“Don’t let society tell you how to live. Don’t let the media tell you what you’re supposed to do. Those things happened to me. And I led this life thinking that these are going to bring me happiness. I hope that you will think about it and decide for yourself how you want to live your own life. Not according to what other people tell you to do, and you have to decide whether you want to serve yourself, whether you are going to make a difference in somebody else’s life. Because true happiness doesn’t come from serving yourself. I thought it was but it didn’t turn out that way. With that I thank you, if you have any questions you have for me, please feel free. Thank you.”
– Richard Teo Keng, successful Singaporean plastic surgeon. He’s dead now.
The great thing about dying tomorrow is that you have an excuse to act crazy today.
I made a list of the things I am going to do were I to meet my Maker tomorrow. So here they are, in no particular order:
1. Go to Amsterdam and smoke marijuana legally – this would probably take me 15 hours if I ride a very fast jet and spend no more than 30 minutes with my legal jutes.
2. Attempt to write my Great Novel in 1 hour – 1 hour. The operative word is “attempt”. Who knows, I may just succeed.
3. Call all my friends and siblings and tell them I love them – 1 hour.
4. Have sex on the beach with the love of my life. 2 hours, and this includes travel time to the beach. I am hoping there will be no traffic along the way.
5. Kiss for 1 hour straight. 1 hour. A challenge worth making, I think, since I’ll be in a casket the next day anyway.
6. Lie under the stars with G while I drift off to sleep.